When you attempt to open an Excel file, you might encounter an error message that prevents you from accessing the data stored into the XLSX or XLS file. Then, you may try other possible ways to access the file, but fail to gain access. This indicates that the Excel file has become corrupt and has become inaccessible.
In order to access the file and its integrated contents, you are required to repair it first. Since Excel files are an important medium to store crucial data, it is important to repair the corrupted workbooks using reliable Excel Repair software from a trusted developer.
An Introduction to Excel File Corruption
When corruption in the Excel file takes place, it is indicated by various error messages. Some of the common error messages are:
- “File error: data may have been lost”
- “The file is corrupt and cannot be opened”
- “An unexpected error has occurred”
- “Microsoft Office Excel has encountered a problem and needs to close. We are sorry for the inconvenience”
If a file gets corrupted, it is difficult to detect the actual reason responsible behind corruption. In fact, there are number of reasons that cause damage to Excel files; sometimes there can be a single reason behind its inaccessible state or it can be more than one.
Synopsis of the Tool:
Stellar Phoenix Excel Repair version 5.5 is a reliable and sophisticated solution that handles all kinds of XLSX and XLS corruption with precision. The tool takes care of all the internal attributes of Excel workbooks as well as worksheets and recovers data considering all basic and advanced data recovery needs of the user.
When Tested on Excel 2010 in Windows 10 Environment:
MS Excel 2010 was working smooth since its installation on the machine, but suddenly when I tried to open a worksheet, Excel displayed an error message; Excel found unreadable content in filename.xls.
Then I reopened the file, but it displayed the same error message. Even after trying some built-in recovery options such as setting calculation option to manual, utilizing external references to link to the workbook, I failed to get access to the file. Then I downloaded Excel repair tool.
The installation procedure took about 20 seconds. There are some minimum requirements that the tool demands to be installed on the machine. This includes:
- The tool runs on Windows 10, 8, 7, Vista, NT, and XP versions
- Supports MS Excel 2016, 2013, 2010, 2007, 2003, and 2000
- Run over system with minimum Pentium Class processor
- Requires minimum 50 megabytes of free space on hard drive
- RAM requirement is 256 Megabytes while 1GB is recommended
My system was running on Windows 10. Before initiating the installation procedure, ensure that the above system requirements are fulfilled.
To install Excel Repair tool on the Windows-based system:
- Double-click on the Stellar Phoenix Excel Repair exe file. Repair Toolkit Setup Wizard will open, click on Next
- Specify Destination screen will appear. Provide the destination path for installing the tool and click on Next
- On the Select Start Menu Folder screen, mention the location where you want to install the program shortcuts and click on Next
- In Select Additional Task screen check appropriate option(s) and click on Next
- Click on Install on the Ready to Install screen
- Click on Finish to exit the wizard
Once the tool is installed successfully, launch it by double-clicking the desktop icon. There are some pre-requisites that must be followed to perform successful and efficient recovery. First, all Excel files need to be closed before starting the recovery procedure otherwise you will get the following message on the screen.
Second, if any engineering formulas exist in the Excel workbook or worksheet, you need to install ‘Analysis ToolPak’ add-in.
Then follow instructions listed below:
- Upload the corrupt Excel file by selecting either of the following options:
- Click on Select File button to upload the corrupted .xls or .xlsx file
- Click on Select Folder to search for damaged Excel file from a folder
- Click on Search File(s) to search the corrupt file in the drive
- Select Search Subfolders if you want to search Excel file in the subfolders
- The tool will list all the searched files in the tool panel. Select the files that need to be repaired by clicking on the associated checkboxes. Alternatively, click on Select All if you want to repair all listed files
- Click on Scan button to start the repair process
- The tool will display a preview of the repaired file in the right pane
- Next, select destination location to save the repaired file. Stellar Phoenix Excel Repair tool provides two different options for saving the repaired file.
- You can select ‘Default Location’ to save the repaired file at its source location with a new name
- You can choose ‘Select New Folder’ to save the file at a specific location other than the original location
How the tool Helps to Remove Corruption from Excel Files
Stellar Phoenix Excel Repair software integrates advanced recovery algorithms that perform a thorough scan on corrupted XLS as well as XLSX files. The tool then repairs corrupt Excel file and save it as a new file at a defined location on the hard drive. An important benefit is that the original files remain as is even after recovery. Apart from this, there are other benefits as well:
- Preserves cell formatting and worksheet properties
- Efficiently handles corruption and removes Excel file errors
- Recovers all Excel components from corrupted file including tables, cell comment, formula, chartsheet, image, chart, filter, sort, etc.
- Performs batch processing on corrupted Excel files to save time
- Offers real time access to recoverable data before recovering it
- Effortless recovery procedure that doesn’t demand any technical expertise
To sum up, my experience with Stellar Phoenix Excel Repair V5.5 is satisfactory as far as functionality is concerned. The tool helped resolve “Excel found unreadable content in filename.xls” error message, prevent the file from the state of corruption and I gained access to the precious data.
Although the interface of the tool is not much interactive, it is simple enough and can be operated by beginners. I would rate Stellar Phoenix Excel Repair 9 out of 10 where I deducted 1 point for User Interface; I am hopeful that developers may consider improving the design of the tool in its next version.